Friday, March 8, 2013

Leave the Sweets to the Swedes

If there’s a self-serve candy store in New York City, the chances are I’ve been. I’m very health conscious, but I’m also a Libra, so I think it’s important to balance one’s diet with a little something sweet. A few weeks ago I was exploring the West Village and stumbled upon the primo sweet spot, Sockerbit. This Swedish candy store offers varied and delicious treats with the most amusing names. I enjoy the Vattenmeloner, Skumshots, Pasta Basta Lordgubb and Surnyckel, which were labeled “Sour Wrenches” at the store.

It’s clean, visually appealing and all things gummy and sour (my personal favorites) are aplenty. Equally delightful is their cultural inspiration. "Lördagsgodis", which translates to Saturday sweets, is a tradition held throughout Scandinavia that allows kids to celebrate their weekends with a handpicked bag of "smågodis", or little candies. When it comes to sweets, leave it to the Swedes.

Smågodis available here: Sockerbit













2 comments:

  1. Hi there Francesca! I was eager to check out your blog since Ashleen was raving about it and you have even inspired her to begin thinking about venturing into the blogosphere. Anyway, very nice start and I love the candy shop photos. This is a fantastic idea--keep at it!

    ReplyDelete